The “Hire One” campaign is meant to encourage employers to be the key to providing a second chance to returning citizens by offering employment opportunities to qualified applicants.
We hope this campaign will encourage a dialogue about concerns employers may have when considering hiring someone with a record, as well as show them there are several benefits and incentives to support them. In the weeks and months ahead, countless community partners will be having several conversations with employers and asking them to take a chance and start by hiring one individual and see where it can lead.
Let us work together to ease employer concerns, provide support, and build a workforce for the future.
For more information, please visit WWW.HireOne.Org or send email to CTHireOne@gMail.Com.
Posted on behalf of Sue Gunderman, STRIDE Job Placement Coordinator.
The 6th Prison Awareness & Prevention Gathering will be held on Saturday, October 29, 2016 at the Shiloh Family Life Center, 3 Garvin Street, New London, CT. The theme is “Embracing Returning Citizens & Those Transitioning in a Second Chance Society”.
What are the Gathering’s objectives?
- Showcasing services (housing, employment, treatment, etc.) that address the basic needs of returning & transitioning citizens;
- Learning tips to help navigate through barriers in the system to have access to services and supports;
- Preventing crime by networking with community stakeholders to strengthen the community and empower young people.
Who would most benefit from attending?
- People interested in addressing offender / ex-offender issues;
- News media;
- Social workers;
- Youth and youth leaders;
- Community advocates;
- Representatives from community and state agencies;
- Employers and businesses;
- Religious leaders and organization members;
- Housing representatives.
Light refreshments will be served.
Admission is free but pre-registration is required. Please contact Brother Winston Taylor, MSW or Shiloh Baptist Church, New London. You may reach Brother Winston Taylor at 860-889-3292 or Shiloh Baptist Church at 860-443-6046.