The Society of St John the Evangelist is offering a Lenten study on the 5 Marks of Love (Five Marks of Mission). As we understand the Five Marks, they are
- To proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom of God;
- To teach, baptize and nurture new believers;
- To respond to human need by loving service;
- To seek to transform unjust structures of society to challenge violence of every kind, and to pursue peace and reconciliation;
- To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation and renew the life of the earth.
Faith Behind Bars and Beyond’s work supports these 5 Marks of Mission. You can register for the study at SSJE.Org/ssje/5marksoflove , which includes videos and a workbook. You will also have the opportunity to make comments. The Society of St John the Evangelist website says
“The Marks of Love are not simply a list of tasks to be checked off one after the other; they are signs that our life is rooted and grounded in the Being of God. The Brothers of SSJE will draw on their own monastic spirituality to help us balance action with contemplation, so that our words and deeds proceed from the deepest places of our hearts, where God dwells. The resource encourages us to reflect on how we should live, not what we should do.”
Faith Behind Bars and Beyond encourages you to take some time during the Lenten Season to reflect on how you are working to fulfill your personal mission of love. In your reflection may you find peace.